Thursday, February 18, 2010

Does This Blog Make Us Look Fat?

There are really only two things I wear as badges of honor these days. The first is that despite numerous opportunities, I have never tried a cigarette, cigar, pipe, hookah, joint, or anything else that might be smoked. I don't even know how to smoke. The second is that I have not had more than a sip or two of pop - Yes, we call it "pop" where I'm from - in probably close to a decade. Definitely several years, I can guarantee that much. I never buy it; I would often times go thirsty before I would dare drink a can of Coke or Sprite. The fake sugar in diet soda has an aftertaste that leaves much to be desired.

Today I ran into a classmate friend who was purchasing a regular Coke from a vending machine.

Friend: Hey, I've got some extra change here, would you like a Coke for dinner?
Me: No thanks, I do not drink pop at all.
Friend: Aww, don't you want diabetes someday?
Me: Uhhhh......
Friend: It's what all the cool kids have.
Me: This sounds like something I'd hear at a party freshman year of college.

I guess I just never really cared for the smell of "smokable items" or the excessive sugar in soda. However, I really do think that by and large, I avoid both vices because I don't like spending money and both just seem to be very expensive habits with very little return on investment. How much does a pack of smokes cost these days? Somewhere around $6-7, right?
And how much does a 20 ounce bottle of Coke from a vending machine cost? Close to $2? And how much do both habits cost society in the long run? It is kind of scary to think about from both a financial standpoint as well as just general morale.

Frankly, my big vices are dark chocolate and coffee, but I usually brew the latter at home with minimal cream and sugar, and the former is only a treat when I have accomplished an important task. I readily admit those too, are bad, but hey, I'm getting antioxidants out of the deal, right? At least that is what I tell myself...

3 comments:

yourdailypill said...

I used to love Pepsi/Cola/soda when I was a teenager, but growing up I subconsciously started to sometimes even dislike these drinks. The same with food - one day I opened my fridge and realized that 99% of the food there, both fresh and cooked, is healthy. Paranoid?

pa lower back pain said...

Wow! It's nice that you don't drink sodas and smoke at all! You're awesome! I hope I can do the same thing! But sodas are really addicting!

pa lower back pain

neck pain orlando said...

Both are bad habits. But habits can be broken so, try to remove it from your system little by little til eventually, it's not a habit anymore.

neck pain orlando